The Woman in the Water: A Prequel to the Charles Lenox Series (Charles Lenox Mysteries #11) (Paperback)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 11 in the Charles Lenox Mysteries series.
- #1: A Beautiful Blue Death: The First Charles Lenox Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #1) (Paperback): $9.99
- #2: The September Society (Charles Lenox Mysteries #2) (Paperback): $17.99
- #3: The Fleet Street Murders (Charles Lenox Mysteries #3) (Compact Disc): $34.99
- #4: A Stranger in Mayfair: A Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #4) (Paperback): $17.99
- #5: A Burial at Sea: A Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #5) (Paperback): $19.79
- #6: A Death in the Small Hours (Hardcover): $24.99
- #7: An Old Betrayal (Charles Lenox Mysteries #7) (Compact Disc): $59.99
- #8: The Laws of Murder: A Charles Lenox Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #8) (Hardcover): This book is never available from our store
- #9: Home by Nightfall: A Charles Lenox Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #9) (Hardcover): This book is never available from our store
- #10: The Inheritance: A Charles Lenox Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #10) (Hardcover): This book is never available from our store
- #12: The Vanishing Man: A Charles Lenox Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #12) (Paperback): $17.99
- #13: The Last Passenger: A Charles Lenox Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #13) (Hardcover): $27.99
- #14: An Extravagant Death: A Charles Lenox Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #14) (Hardcover): $27.99
Finch's creation story of legendary gentleman detective Charles Lenox is the perfect book for Agatha Christie, Donna Leon and Louise Penny fans as the atmosphere is thick as clotted cream and with indelible characters that will become more comfortable as comfy slippers! Standout sequel to be read either before or after Finch's other Lennox books. Not to be mistaken for a cozy, but still one to enjoy with a good Earl Grey and scones.
— From Staff Picks by Maureen
A chilling new mystery in the USA Today bestselling series by Charles Finch, The Woman in the Water takes readers back to Charles Lenox’s very first case and the ruthless serial killer who would set him on the course to become one of London’s most brilliant detectives.
London, 1850: A young Charles Lenox struggles to make a name for himself as a detective…without a single case. Scotland Yard refuses to take him seriously and his friends deride him for attempting a profession at all. But when an anonymous writer sends a letter to the paper claiming to have committed the perfect crime—and promising to kill again—Lenox is convinced that this is his chance to prove himself.
The writer’s first victim is a young woman whose body is found in a naval trunk, caught up in the rushes of a small islet in the middle of the Thames. With few clues to go on, Lenox endeavors to solve the crime before another innocent life is lost. When the killer’s sights are turned toward those whom Lenox holds most dear, the stakes are raised and Lenox is trapped in a desperate game of cat and mouse.
In the tradition of Sherlock Holmes, this newest mystery in the Charles Lenox series pits the young detective against a maniacal murderer who would give Professor Moriarty a run for his money.
About the Author
Charles Finch is the USA Today bestselling author of the Charles Lenox historical mysteries, which begin with A Beautiful Blue Death. His contemporary novel The Last Enchantments, is also available from St. Martin's Press.
Finch received the 2017 Nona Balakian Citation for Excellence in Reviewing, from the National Book Critics Circle. His essays and criticism have appeared in the New York Times, Slate, Washington Post, and elsewhere. He lives in Los Angeles.
“Prequels are fun...Lenox is a mere whippersnapper in The Woman in the Water...a cunning mystery.”—Marilyn Stasio, New York Times Book Review
“Lenox has officially reached the big leagues—the conclusion waiting for him is nothing short of chilling. A case with enough momentum to recharge this series and grab new readers with its pull.” —Kirkus Reviews
“Bravo Mr. Finch and keep them coming! More Lenox, please.” —Louise Penny, author of Still Life
“With its splendidly drawn characters and brisk, supple prose, this can be either an inviting introduction to those new to Finch’s accomplished series or a winning addition to the canon for established fans.” —Booklist (starred)
“Finch does a wonderful job of re-creating the atmosphere of mid-19th-century England; his characters are crisply drawn and believable...An excellent addition to an already terrific series.” —Library Journal (starred)
“Finch supplies an extremely clever solution to the murder mystery.” —Publishers Weekly
“A thick, leisurely, British detective novel, studded with memorable characters.” —Hallie Ephron, The Boston Globe on The Laws of Murder
“Finch is a clever plotter and assiduous researcher.” —Seattle Times on Home By Nightfall
This propulsive sci-fi thriller is sure to be loved by Kristoff's Illuminae series fans. This novel is more intimate, though, following Eve, as she soldiers on in the robot gladiator wars by using her uber-skilled mechanical gifts to win. Trying to outrun the evil doers and give her grandpa enough meds to live, this twisty tale will surprise you up through the final page! Do not miss this. - Maureen