2019 update: Not accepting ANY proposals
Thank you for considering Once Upon a Time Bookstore as a venue for your self-published or non-traditionally published book event. Because we host many book signings each year, and due to our limited space, we must evaluate and select what we feel would best benefit our community of readers, therefore we require a formal proposal for consideration. *We do not accept walk-in pitches/proposals* When our doors are open we’re focused on helping customers, pricing and shelving books, and other day to day activities which keep the doors open.
There is also a required cooperative advertising fee, which varies depending on the type of event you are interested in. (Details below)
Book Event Options
Traditional Signing: $300
Single author/presenter (45 minutes – 1 hour)
Fee includes a seasoned event host and the use of our event space for signings. It also includes:
- Event details published on our website calendar, our email newsletter (7,000+ subscribers), and in store promotional material.
- Book sales report to the New York Times, Nielson BookScan, and IndieBound.org.
Group Signing: $150 each author
Take advantage of shared audiences with your fellow authors!
Two or three authors take the stage for 10-15 minutes each to read from and discuss their book. Panel-style discussion afterward for Q&A with the audience, followed by a group book signing. Fee includes a seasoned event host, the use of our event space and the same promotional services as the Traditional Signing model.
Book signings generally take place on Sunday afternoons or Monday evenings.
Book Event Proposal
Please provide the following:
- Complete contact information, including name, mailing address, phone number, and email address.
- A copy of your finished book. If you would like the book returned, you must provide a self-addressed stamped envelope.
- One-paragraph book summary and/or press release that includes:
- Retail price
- Website with info about your book (not Am*zon or Barnes & Noble, please)
- Information regarding any past publicity and events.
- Short bio* that relates your experience with your proposal/book. (Please include references we can contact as well as an author picture and a high-resolution book cover image.)
- Number of personal contacts that you believe will attend the event, plus a summary of your planned outreach efforts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, e-mail list, etc.).
- If your book is self-published, independently published, published through a print-on-demand service or your book is not available at the standard trade discount, (40% returnable from Ingram or Baker & Taylor), you will be required to supply books for the event at our store’s standard 50% discount. Books should have a scannable ISBN on the back. If you wish us to stock your book, please refer to our separate Consignment Program.
*Please note that we reserve the right to edit event and author descriptions as we deem fit for our print, advertising, email, website, and calendar materials.
When submitting your proposal, please indicate the signing model you're interested in (Traditional or Group), and that you understand that there will be a $300 or $150 cooperative advertising fee, payable in advance, to confirm your event.
Drop off or send proposal package materials, as listed above, to:
Once Upon a Time Bookstore
2207 Honolulu Ave
Montrose, CA 91020
or email to Jessica@onceupona.com. We will email you a confirmation of receipt.
Information that is sent and is not complete as required above will not be considered.
We will review your proposal and contact you within 30 days. Once Upon a Time reserves the right to accept or reject any proposal and all decisions are final. If your proposal is accepted, you will receive an Event Agreement, summarized below.
- Mandatory non-refundable, cooperative advertising fee of specified amount ($300 or $150/presenter) will be due within 7 days along with a signed Event Contract provided at time of acceptance.
- Terms are 50% to seller and 50% to Once Upon A Time.
- Event will be scheduled with our Events Coordinator.
- Books will be carried in-store for 1 week prior to the event and for 1 week after the event.
- When we are ready to return your book, we will contact you to pick up your unsold copies. We will not be responsible for the return of shelf copies if they are not picked up within 15 days of notification. We do not ship unsold shelf copies. If the books are not picked up within that time frame, the books become the property of Once Upon A Time and will be processed at our discretion.
- Payments will be made by check from Once Upon A Time within 4 weeks after the last week of sales. If no payment is due, we will send a note to that effect.
Suggestions for a successful event
Once Upon A Time works hard to make every event successful; however, that alone will not always guarantee a successful event. Author dedication to event promotion is necessary.
- Read more about Best Practices for Authors Who Want Thier Book in Bookstores from the Huffington Post.
- Encourage your readers, family, and friends to purchase your book in-store.
- Send out press releases, review copies, and other promotional material to generate interest
- Get involved with community book clubs, libraries, and other community organizations
- If you have a website or social media page:
- Greater success comes from a dedicated promotional program from the author